Friday, February 01, 2008

rhubarb banana crisp


If you're one of those people who like recipes with specific amounts, this post isn't for you. I cleaned the fridge, freezer, and pantry a few days ago, and had frozen bananas (3) and rhubarb (maybe 3 cups or so diced) which needed to be used up. I thought that mixing them together in a crisp might be good, since bananas are sweet and would temper the rhubarb's tang. I didn't want to put too much sugar in, which was another reason I plopped the bananas in, rather than doing a straight rhubarb crisp. It turned out pretty well - it tastes like rhubarb and bananas with crispy bits on top (imagine that!). Here's what I did:
Mixed rhubarb and bananas in 9x13 pan, kind of mashing them around a little bit.
Made a crisp topping with oats (2 cups-ish), brown sugar (1/4 cup?), whole wheat flour (1/4 cup?), and maybe 1/3 cup butter.
Mixed up the topping, distributed it evenly over the mush, baked for about 30 minutes. Mmm! I might give a speck of rhubarb to Phillip to taste tomorrow. That should be a cute face!

No comments: